Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chicken Spaghetti Casserole

I was reading the Pioneer Woman's cookbook that my good friend Mara bought me when I ran across this recipe.  I really liked the thought of it (especially since I have tons of spaghetti in my pantry).  I liked most of the ingredients in it too, but here is my version of her recipe.  I changed it up some, of course....  Anyways, it was surprisingly really DELICIOUS!!!  A mild spice to it (which you wouldn't know by looking at the picture).  And once again, the food is so much yummier than my pictures are...hence the name of my blog!


Ingredients:
2 Big chicken breasts (or 3-4 of the bagged frozen small ones)
1 Lb spaghetti
2 Cans cream of chicken or mushroom soup (I used 2 chicken)
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese 
1/2 Small onion
1/3-1/2 Green pepper
1 Tsp Lowry's seasoning salt (I paid $1.07 for it at Target)
Pepper to taste
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
*Put your chicken into a large skillet with water (or into a large stock pot with water...stock pot would be easier...)

*Boil the water/chicken for about 25 minutes.


*While the chicken is cooking, empty the 2 cans of soup into a large mixing bowl.  

*Add 1 1/2 cups of cheese into the soup and mix.

*Dice up your green pepper into tiny pieces.

*Chop your onion up into small pieces  too.

*Pioneer woman puts her onion and pepper into the cheese and soup mixture.  I put mine into a small pan with a bit of oil and cooked it for a minute or two to take the raw onion flavor out.  I hate raw onions.


*Put your onion/pepper mixture into the cheese and soup mixture.  Add the Lowry's salt, pepper, and cayenne to it.

*Once the chicken is done, pull it out and set the chicken on a plate off to the side.  

*Remove 2 cups of the chicken water broth.  I only had 1 cup left.  Next time I will use more water when boiling the chicken.  If you don't have 2 cups of water, open a can of chicken broth and add enough to get you to two cups.  I poured the rest of the chicken broth into my pan and then filled the pan up with water again so I could cook the pasta.  If you don't have a can of chicken broth, don't freak out, you will be fine.  


*Boil water OR rest of the chicken water if you have any OR water with the rest of the can of chicken broth (like me).  You want to cook your pasta now, so do whatever you can/need to to cook your pasta.  No need to stress about how you cook it. 

*Break your pasta into 2 inch pieces.

*Cook your pasta until al dente.  Not typically an "al dente" fan, but in this case you want your pasta to not be fully cooked.  I stopped cooking my pasta a few minutes before it was fully cooked/soft.  (I cooked my pasta in my chicken skillet.  If you want more space, put it into a bigger pot).

*Shred your chicken with two forks.

*Add the chicken and the 2 cups of chicken water/broth to the soup mixture.  Stir well.

*Add the pasta to the soup mixture and mix well.

*Spray a big casserole baking dish down with cooking spray.  (I needed to use two dishes...)

*Pour your mixture into the 1 or 2 dishes.

*Cover with the remaining shredded cheese.

*Place in a pre-heated oven at 350*F.


*Bake for 35-45 minutes.  I did mine for 40 minutes and it was perfect!  Nice and bubbly!





No comments:

Post a Comment