Thursday, June 16, 2011

Zucchini Casserole

I AM MARTHA STEWART!!!  Okay, not really, but this recipe was SOOOOOOOOO good that I felt like I was her!  (It's not even a martha recipe...its a Barefoot Contessa recipe, but who's taking note?).  I know I've been posting a ton of zucchini recipes lately, and I'm sorry!  I don't usually pick one item and cook it over and over, but my parents gave us a TON of it from their garden and I didn't want to waste it.  Anyways, back to this recipe.  As I was cooking it I kept thinking "what was I thinking making this.  Its taking forever for a frigging zucchini recipe.  Ugh."  BUT THEN...(drumroll please), I added the spices, and BOOM!  My kitchen took on the most amazing smell and I got SUPER excited!  It turned out so much better than I could have imagined!  I cannot wait to make it for others!  (So hint, hint friends, someone invite us over so I can bring this dish!).  Even Nick kept saying "oh man, this is good"  AWESOME!

Ingredients:
6 Tbsp butter (3/4 a stick)
1 Small onion, diced up (original recipe called for 3 onions...but I only used 1 and it was PERFECT!!!)
2 lbs zucchini (about 6 small one's, or 1.5 of my parents big one's)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper (don't guess on these spices...you need the exact amounts!)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (yes, nutmeg.  And you HAVE to have it in this recipe!)
2 Tbsps flour
1 Cup HOT milk (put it in your microwave for a minute or two)
3/4 Cup bread crumbs
3/4 Cup - 1 Cup Shredded cheese
2 Tbsp butter

Directions:
*Melt your 6 Tbsps butter over low heat in a large skillet.  Once it is melted, add all of the onion pieces.  Cook on LOW for about 20-25 minutes (yup, that long).  You don't want them to brown, just get soft.  So make sure you cook them on low!


*Once the onions are cooked, add the zucchini pieces.  Cut them into 1/4 inch round pieces.

*Cook covered for about 15 minutes (until they are tender and cooked).  Stir it a few times so it doesn't burn.

*Now add your spices once the zucchini is done.  Mix and cook uncovered for about 3-4 minutes.  Smell your kitchen, isn't it amazing???!!!


*Now add the 2 Tbsps of flour, then the hot milk.  Stir and continue to cook until the milk turns into a semi-thick sauce (about 3-4 minutes).  Keep stirring it so it doesn't burn.


*Pour into a baking dish spray down with baking spray.

*In a bowl, mix the bread crumbs and shredded cheese.

*Melt the remaining 2 Tbsps of butter in a cup in the microwave and then put it in with the cheese and breadcrumbs.  Mix it up good.  Now pour it on top of the zucchini mixture.

*Cook in a pre-heated at 400*F oven for 20 minutes.


*This is one of those recipes you have to try.  I HATE onions and I still LOVED this one!!!

(Note: This is my twist on the barefoot Contessa's recipe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment