Monday, September 26, 2011

Buttercream Icing

I needed something to go on top of my pumpkin muffins, so I looked up how to make buttercream icing.  This is the recipe from Wilton (yes, that Wilton...the cake/cupcake/cookie company).  The icing was so good...but you guys know me...I had to change it up!  So I added 1 Tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice to the finished buttercream and it turned out SO GOOD!  I had a couple spoonfuls of it by itself!  YUMMY!


Ingredients:
1/2 Cup vegetable shortening
1/2 Cup butter (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 Cups confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
2 Tbsp's milk

Directions:
* In a large bowl, mix the shortening and butter with a mixer.

*Mix in the vanilla extract.

*SLOWLY add one cup of powdered sugar at a time.  Mix on medium speed until all sugar has been mixed in.  Your mixture will be dry and crumbly.


*Add the 2 tablespoons of milk and mix on medium speed until creamy and mixed well.


*If you aren't using it right away, cover it with a damp cloth over the bowl until you are ready to use.

*I wanted my buttercream to go on top of my pumpkin muffins, so I added 1 Tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice to my icing and mixed it well.  It turned out beyond delicious...oh heavens....

(NOTE:  The icing can be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.  Just re-mix it before using.)


(NOTE: If you want it to be easier to spread (since its thick), you can add any of these to the mixture: 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup, water, or milk.)

No comments:

Post a Comment